Tonight I want to share a thought or two with you about a tool we use as Witches and simply take for granted.
I’ve recently dried my home grown herbs and am going to use these to get my Witch Cupboard started. I have also ordered quite a few herbs from an organic company, some are safe and some are toxic. I prefer to use herbs over oils because the oil scent is to strong for me and they give me a headache which makes it difficult to focus. I also like to experiment with ideas for making poppets, herbal bags, burning incense and such. To do this I need to crush herbal ingredients together, choosing the correct herb to resonate with the spell is important, for example, I don’t want any herbal residue from a previous use to counteract what I’m trying to do now. That train of thought brought to mind the possibility of becoming possibly poisoned, because I burnt a lovely rose petal incense but some toxic herb was left in the bowl. (No this has not happened, but my paranoia runs away from me.) Immediately I researched How To Clean A Mortar and Pestle. I searched and couldn’t find anything about it. I ended up emailing the company I purchased the herbs from and the only thing they could suggest to me was to make sure I have 3 mortar and pestles, one for resin, one for toxic herbs and one for non toxic herbs. Their reasoning was because many bowls are made of porous materials which will collect in the stone. As I am a Witch on a budget I didn’t want to hear that for an answer, but I completely understand where thy are coming from. My concern is this Sisters and Brothers In The Craft, I do not want any of you getting poisoned because of rushing into something without thinking every possible outcome through.
In Perfect Love and Perfect Trust,